Alex Box
Her ideas about make-up are ones that I can relate to. In an interview she said that make-up as in art but with art you either love it or hate it. But the fact that the 'canvas' is already human it is more relatable. I have spent a lot of time on the Illamasqua website looking at the different make-up collections and how each one has a storyline or an idea behind it. I like the idea that art has a point, a reason for existing. As Alex said a living canvas is relatable and easier to create a story with.
I like Alex Box's work because it is really different. For example her collection 'Toxic Nature' combines the look of fakery with naturalism and realism. I love the supernatural element that she adds. The contouring of that face makes the model look like waxwork. The distortion of her face make her seem not real and that fact that it can be created through make-up is really interesting.
The make-up artist has also worked with Rankin who is one of my favourite photographers so I love the work they collaborated on my last project that I completed was all based around the idea of a 'living canvas' and for my final piece I focused on the relationship between artist and canvas and put it on film.
My friend was my model so I had the advantage of already being close but I liked the intimacy that I captured in my photographs. I think this is something similar to what Alex Box creates.
I have always loved colour so that is why her work appeals to me so much. For example this image is full of colour and it mirrors the idea of a coated canvas. It exudes the idea that a canvas can be so full of colour but have no relationship to a person viewing it. Whereas, a person can be so interesting and again tell a story by their facial expressions. I often like a lot of colour when I go out or go to fancy dress parties because it is more exciting so the excess colour and application reminded me of a face painted on myself once and I love that. There is always something I am intrigued about and want to know the story behind it. I think this image also mocks the way make-up is seen. It is over-exaggerated and the lines are messy and it could be outlining the way some people view make-up as an art. It also says there isn't such a thing as too much colour. As I said, I love colour and this includes so many. It isn't a shy image because of the loud colours and strong application it could also be a Alex Box telling new make-up artists or just people that enjoy wearing it to not be afraid of colour or application.
This is the second image that I found interesting from Alex Box's collection. It takes the idea of contouring and over- exaggerates it, much like the previous image. Unlike the last image this make-up seems a lot more sculpted and particular. Her face is very plain but the bold thick lines draw her features out. This image reminds me a lot of a Barbie doll, most girls had one when they were younger and would cut their hair in a bad jagged way and try and apply make-up to the Barbie doll but it always looks messy by the end. This is controlled mess. All of Alex Box's designs tell a story, I could come up with my own interpretation for each one of her images. Re-iterating her idea of taking a woman's natural beauty and enhancing it, this image does just that but on a higher level. Everyone has their experimental stage when they are younger and have that vision of being beautiful. I believe that you should be carry on experimenting the whole way through your life without the fear of trying something new.
Having researched into Alex Box I would say I would wear my make-up design to a David Bowie concert or a meeting with him. He was very famous for his Ziggy Stardust look and it was iconic in the world of music and I feel it was a bold idea and something different which I hope is something I exude.
I would say I have quite a bold and expressive personality. I have spent a lot of my life so far trying to blend in with the crowd and up until recently I realised being different was so much better. I try to stand out. So I am the one who goes to a party with my face painted when there was no request to. Alex Box's designs don't follow beauty or commercial make-up and that's why I love them so much.


No comments:
Post a Comment